Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It's organic too!

Unless you are one of the engineering or political science species, my last post was probably a bit boring. I got a suggestion from a friend that I might be too technical.  This project will be organic, it will go through many changes during its life. While I know I don't exactly have throngs of visitors yet, I still realize that these thoughts are meant to be shared with others, like an audience. See I even remember English class terms. Nonetheless, thanks so much to the 41 visitors I did receive through curious Facebook friends.

I was excited to hear that Dow has developed a solar shingle. Not that the whole thing is all that amazing but it seems a perfect start to moving to a green economy, as well as becoming energy independent on your own. Of course no one is listing the price on these things but I think it's cool how they can be retrofit on to an existing roof just like laying the regular shingles.

Why am I so interested in solar panels and energy independence? I was inspired by the 19 hour traffic jam I sat in while trying to leave Houston during Hurricane Rita. I would have just stayed home if I had a secondary source of power. Enough to run the air conditioner and refrigerator and I'm good! Wouldn't it be nice to know that if the power went out you could rely on yourself?

Here in Houston we also have one of America's largest collections of "plants". Refineries, chemical plants, fabrication, shipping, blah, blah, blah....lots of industrial stuff. Since I work as an engineer in Houston, I get an inside look at some of the varied ways we collect energy and what it takes to do that.

I'm also sick of getting up at 5:45 every day, putting on the corporate uniform and giving someone else all of my good work. I want to make something that makes a difference and get up at 8 am, play with my boy and have breakfast with my wife. I'll work hard, I promise. I feel like I am asking someone for the chance to do this but I know it's me who has to take it. When that one idea pops into my head, watch out! I'm outta here!

No comments: